Steven E. Weitz, Ph.D.
(908) 526-1177 ext. 21
Dr. Steven Weitz is one of the founding partners at APS. He has practiced psychology in the community since 1980. His graduate work in clinical psychology emphasized cognitive behavior therapy, widely thought to be the most effective mode of intervention for a variety of problems. After achieving his PhD, he had three years of post-graduate instruction and supervision in family therapy.
Dr. Weitz maintains a general adult practice, with an emphasis on two particular areas of clinical interest. The first is couple’s therapy. Says Dr. Weitz, “Working with couples excites me for the impact it can have on people’s lives. Not only can partners benefit directly, but successful couple’s therapy often has a profound influence on the life of children.”
Dr. Weitz’s second specialty area is helping patients cope with chronic pain. Having once been a pain patient himself, Dr. Weitz is especially sensitive to the many ways chronic pain can disrupt life. He works primarily with spine pain patients as the consulting psychologist for the NJ Spine Institute. He also maintains a working relationship with medical pain management specialists in the community.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Weitz conducts personal injury evaluations.
When he isn’t working, Dr. Weitz’s two passions are the Reform Jewish community and fly fishing. He has served as President of Temple Beth-El in Hillsborough, NJ and still sits on their Board of Trustees. He is also a member of the Oversight Committee and the North American Board of Trustees of the Union for Reform Judaism.
As for fly fishing, Dr. Weitz never met a fish he didn’t like (all of which are set free to be caught another day!)
- 9/82 to Present: Managing Partner, Associates in Psychological Services, P.A.
- 4/93 to Present: Consultant Psychologist, New Jersey Spine Institute
- 9/82 to 12/94: Field Supervisor, Graduate School of Applied & Professional Psychology, Rutgers University
- 9/85 to 2/94: Supervising Psychologist, Lifeline Counseling Center
- 5/84 to 5/87: Consultant Psychologist, Bonnie Brae Educational Center
- 6/83 to 12/83: Unit Coordinator, Adolescent Inpatient Service, Community Health Center of the University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ
- 5/82 to 12/83: Associate in Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ
- 9/79 to 5/83: Staff Psychologist, Adolescent Inpatient & Day Services, CMHC of UMDNJ
- 1/80 to 4/82: Staff Psychologist, Multimodal Therapy Institute
- 9/77 to 9/78: Intern in Clinical Psychology, CPC-CMHC (APA approved)